DAR AL FUNOON : Blog
Artist Profile: Jamal Abdul Rahim
He believes that artists can pick their inspiration from everywhere and from the people around them. Although he is known as a printmaker and painter, he has become an avid sculpting fan who believes that: “stone is already beautiful and by sculpting it, I am inspired, withdrawing that beauty into a form”. According to him, working on stone fills the soul with a special kind of pleasure that cannot be explained, as art is a spiritual exercise which cannot be ignored.
- Born 1965, Muharraq, Kingdom of Bahrain.
- 15 individual exhibitions in Bahrain & 24 Arab and international exhibitions.
- 26 joint exhibitions including Biennales & Triennials.
- 13 National & international prizes.
- 30 handmade books & artistic collections
- Guest of honor at the 4th International Triennial of Graphic Art, Egypt in 2003.
- Guest of honor in the 2nd Biennial of Art Book, Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Egypt in 2006.
- Jury member in the 26th Mini Print International of Cadaqués, Spain in 2006.
- Certificate of Appreciation in the Annual National Art Exhibition, Bahrain in 2007.
- In 2007, His book “Rasa’el Qasab” (Cane Messages) was added to the British Museum’s collection and was exhibited in “Word into Art – Artists of the Modern Middle East” at DIFC, Dubai.
- In 2010 the Asian Civilisations Museum in Singapore has purchased one of his prints “Al Qalam” for its permanent collection.